Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Cellular

Well, I could talk about a plethora of things here, including my accidentally requesting to sit in the smoking section of a cafe (this ended badly. I remember when I was a kid going to restaurants that my parents were asked 'smoking or non-smoking,' but not in recent memory. here they still allow smoking indoors. boo), going to the John Lennon museum where the amount of time spent discussing his post-Beatles music and life defied historical standards (what else would you expect of a place approved of by Yoko Ono?), or the start of classes (which I suppose I will get to at some point).

What I really want to talk about, though, is my cell phone. I know, sounds kitchy.

I know we're all aware that Japan is technologically pretty good, but I had to see it to believe it.

I went in to the cell phone place to get a plan, and nearly 3 hours later I walked out not exactly sure what kind of plan I had signed myself up for, but happy that I just had a mode of communication all to myself.

Only later did I discover the power of this phone.

It can...
take pictures and movies. (ho-hum)

edit those pictures, add captions and a border, and place on one's screen (kinda cool)

It has a Japanese-English and English-Japanese dictionary. (really?)

It has an infrared technology that, when paired with another phone with a similar power, allows one to simply put the phones close to on another and transfer each other's phone numbers into the other's phone. (it can do that?)

My phone has its own email address, so I can send emails to regular computer email addresses as well to other phones with similar capabilities. (kinda like text messaging on steroids)

It also has GPS that i haven't figured out how to work yet, a thing to help you keep track of what you pay money for, a journal, something that automatically sends out emails at any certain point you want them sent out, and a thing that is able to read script and translate it for you by using the video camera and dictionary. (yes.)

Oh, and you can call people on it too.

How much did this cutting-edge technology cost me?


1050 yen, or about $9. Long live qualcomm.

2 comments:

Julia said...

my phone doesnt have a front screen so you cant tell the time unless you open it. it doesnt have a message tone. you have to pre pay it and recharge it. its ugly. its only in 24 hr time. it was 60 EUROS... its..... dreadful.

Anonymous said...

i just can't believe we don't have this stuff in america yet...

yesterday i pulled out my old american cell, which is here with me, and compared it to my japanese cell.... it was like ojiichan cell phone and wakai cell phone, lol!