Friday, September 7, 2007

A Day at the Park

Classes this morning were canceled due to quickly approaching and extremely angry typhoon "Fitow" (I did not realize typhoons had names), but it turned out to be the nicest morning in a few days. I was finally ready to put some of my wanderlust energy that had been stymied by Fitow to work and went to Kichijoji, the funky home of Inokashira Park. I even had lunch at a great little place called Pepecafe Forest (I was sure it was Pepe Forest Cafe, but alas) which was opened up to the park, those damn cicadas rattling my ear drum like new junior high band students as I attempted to enjoy my Thai noodles before setting off to school for the first time as an actual student.

In other news, I know many of you are curious as to my classes, so here it is: I am taking 2 periods of Japanese per day, as well as a 3-period a week class on modern Japanese literature (my wheelhouse, if you will), and a one-night a week class about the function (or lack thereof) and history of the United Nations. Two of the three are in English, and I think that you can guess which one isn't.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Meiji Shrine, one of the grandest in all of Tokyo. Sunday it's up north a little bit to see the John Lennon museum, put together by Yoko Ono, the representation of whose role in the latter years of the Beatles is sure to be both skewed and understated.




No comments: